Will a hen accept 4 day old chicks if she has just hatched 1 day old chicks of her own?

Thank you for posting nestbox pic. I give my broodys a smaller nestbox than yours so new hatchees can Only stay under mom for warmth after hatching, but there's more than one way to hatch a baby, possibly your new chick would have soon wiggled back under mom. Is the front of nest box blocked off so the chick cant escape? Because by tomorrow morning you will discover the first-hatched chick is exploring Everywhere! Just make sure it cant fall out of nest box or otherwise be separated from mama hen's warmth. Congratulations on your first sucessful hatch, & i hope your broody hatches more!

Thank you so much @Silkie Princess!

Is it normal for chicks to be this floppy? Do you think it hatched very recently, hence it's floppiness? I'm so very new to this! Bit stressful... 🐣
Any news? very interested as my Silkie X is sitting on her first clutch, also my first time with hatchlings. They are due next Friday...

I'm very excited for you @Ponypoor. Please do keep us updated!
Coming to day 18 tomorrow I candled the 4 eggs this past Friday (day 15) and saw movement in each egg (or maybe that was these old eyes playing tricks haha). I tried to candle yesterday but all I could see was the airspace - everything else was dark - hope that is a good sign!

I was looking for info on removing the hen from her nest to eat/poop daily as I have been doing so once a day, any suggestions anyone? should I just leave her on 'lock-down' until Friday when all should be hatched? Two of those eggs are from Silkie hens so I expect them to hatch early.

Back
Top Bottom