will a hen adopt chicks if she isnt broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maggimay43, Mar 26, 2015.

1. maggimay43

maggimay43 New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    i have a BO that likes to sit in the nest for hours at a time, but she always gets up and wanders off later in the day. i have been waiting for her to be really broody so i can try having her foster some chicks. well i just lost half my flock to a raccoon so i need to get some more chicks soon. do you think it would be alright to put them under her now even if she's not broody all the time? i could always put them inside if it doesnt work our but i'm afraid she would hurt them.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If she isn't staying in the nest all day, save 15-30 minutes or so to eat, drink, poop and maybe dust bathe, and night, then she isn't brooding. If you put chicks in with her, and she isn't broody, she's not going to be happy about that. She'll likely kill them, at the very least, she'll do her dead level best to cause them harm.
    If you can't wait until she is broody to try it (and even broody hens will sometimes kill chicks slipped under them, something to keep in mind), then brood them yourself.
    Best of luck.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

If she's only "that" broody, I wouldn't bother. Like the other poster said, not even a committed broody will necessarily take chicks that aren't hers. Trying to put them under her will likely just cause a lot of stress.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - just brood them in a brooder and save yourself and the birds all a lot of heartache.

5. maggimay43

maggimay43 New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    yeah, i'll probably just try that next year. i wont really need more hens but i cant seem to resist the baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by