Will a Hen "adopt" older chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by webs66, Aug 26, 2008.

1. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Hi all, I have 25 Buff Orp chicks that are 2 1/2 weeks old. I found a local guy who is getting rid of his chickens, they happen to be Buff Orps. I was wondering if anyone knows how they would take to each other. I was thinking about taking 1 or 2 of his hens in hopes they would become foster moms to our babies. Does anyone think this would work or am I asking for problems here???

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Wow! where are you located?

[​IMG]
    sorry i am so new, don't know the answer to your question

3. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    your probably asking for problems

4. webs66

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I'm in Rhode Island

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You're asking for problems. You don't know what those grown chickens have, and it's best to practice safe biosecurity. The new hens should not be in contact with those chicks for at least 30 days. By then, you will know if the hens have disease or illnesses.

6. webs66

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    well it sounds like our babies will have to settle for me as their mama. I really do not want to have to worry about what they might get from the other chickens. Thanks for all the help guys.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    hens will only become foster moms if they only have biddies already, and then they may not take new ones. you just have to put them down. from there the biddy will run towards then hen about 98% of the time. hen will run towards the biddy 1% of the time. once they come into contact. she'll peck them once. if from there she ignores them and walks off with them following her she is now their "mom" but you have to be careful. not all hens like new comers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by