Will a hen ever accept chicks if she isn't broody?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
I have eggs in lockdown and I just brought home a new hen. She's living in the 3 tiered brooder I built for the chicks until I can make space for a crate in my coop for integration. I thought I might experiment and see how she reacts to the chicks. She seems lonely. I would be monitoring the situation.

What are your experiences with this? Have you ever seen a non broody hen accept babies?

I’ve heard people say they have non-broody hens that love babies, and happily adopt them, but in my experience, I’ve never even had a broody accept introduced chicks. Both times I tried, they wanted to kill them.

I'm expecting aggression as well.

Since she's in a new environment with no other chickens around, maybe she'll just go with the flow..

I'd love it if it worked, I've never experienced a hen raising chicks.

I may just try, watching closely.

You could start with a see-no-touch set up. If she is tidbitting them, that would be a good sign. What kind of hen is she?

That sounds like a good idea.

I was told she's a bantam cochin mix. I don't have a very good pic.
IMG_20210227_1551379.jpg

The cochin in her may help.

My bantam cochin shows extreme interest in chicks (safely in their brooder) if she can hear them. I have never been brave enough to see if she would accept any when not broody.

When broody she will accept anything offered. 🙄

I have 3 chicken eggs zipping right now... 8 total. I'm also incubating a number of quail eggs, 3 of which have hatched already. Which was the point of the 3 tiered brooder.

Lucy just happened to need a place to stay for a while, so she ended up in the bottom level.

Should I introduce the first chick to her as it completes hatching to see her initial reaction? Or wait until a couple have hatched...or all?

I have 3 chicken eggs zipping right now... 8 total. I'm also incubating a number of quail eggs, 3 of which have hatched already. Which was the point of the 3 tiered brooder.

Lucy just happened to need a place to stay for a while, so she ended up in the bottom level.

Should I introduce the first chick to her as it completes hatching to see her initial reaction? Or wait until a couple have hatched...or all?
I'd try them all at once.

Back
Top Bottom