Will a hen lay an egg while roosting? (at night)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaruca, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jaruca

jaruca Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
    When I went to open the coop up this morning I noticed the two chanteclers who are usually the first to rush out, were still inside. I went into the coop and found them pecking a what I thought was poop but upon closer inspection it looked like an egg yolk. There was no sign of either shells or whites, ( I dug through the shavings lookinh for shell or membrane), maybe they already ate it? The 'yolk' was directly below their roost. I've only had the girls for about a month but untill now they have always laid in a nest box. I also have a couple of girls in there who I estimate are getting close to laying. Actually I guessed them to be about 12 weeks old but they could be older. The roost is in the opposite corner from the nests and I can't imagine how they would get the egg there without leaving a trace of some sort.

Has anyone heard of a hen laying while roosting/sleeping? Do young hens start out laying in random places? Any other suggestions? Thanks as always for any ideas or feedback.

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I have had this happen a couple times. I think that they maybe get disturbed or something when trying to lay their egg in the afternoon, and then need to do it at night, it's too dark and they just do it on the roost. Or their internal clocks just get out of whack. Mine didn't eat them, though. My concern would be that perhaps now they have a taste for egg and might try eating others. I'd check for eggs often for the next few days so there aren't any laying around to tempt them!! Although perhaps the hen that laid it didn't actually lay a whole egg. Sometimes things can go a little screwy and they can lay soft-shelled or shell-less eggs (have had that happen on the roost, too).

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    this has happened to me and my hens eat it right away. All that is left is usually a soft shell membrane but it sounds like yours does not have one. It only ever happend once and a while.

Henry

4. jaruca

jaruca Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
    Ok, thanks. I'm still a new momma so everything worries me. I'm glad to know that this happens sometimes and I will check often for eggs so that they don't get any ideas about eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by