Will a hen look after a duckling?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicki123, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Chicki123

Chicki123 New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    We have a Coronation Sussex that has just hatched a mixture of chicks and we were wondering if we put a duckling under her too if she would look after it so we don’t have to keep it under heat?
    Can someone please help?

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My experience with a hen brooding ducklings was going well until they were a couple of days old and starting playing in the waterer. It apparently upset mama hen so bad that in the process of keeping them out of the water, she bloodied their little rumps(from pecking and grabbing them) so I had to take them from her. Now SHE has a bloody head from the other hens since I put her back with the rest of the flock. Talk about being in a mess...they need to have a Jerry Springer show starring ME.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most hens will do fine as long as there is no water around.

4. Chicki123

Chicki123 New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    She doesn't seem to mind water though, she sits in the bird bath sometimes. Maybe she might be OK?

5. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    I've hatched ducks and chicks with a hen. the ducks just start to think they are chickens

6. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

It may upset her when the duckling becomes obsessed with the water...but give it a go...she may do fine. You can always take the duckling away from her. I hated to take them away but it made me want to cry to see their little injured rumps. They are doing great now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by