Will a hen past laying age still go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShockValue, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I've been looking for a broody girl so we can hatch some eggs in the future. I've found a couple locally, but they are both older birds.

I would assume that if they quit laying, the desire to set eggs would go too, but I don't know for sure.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Often those past laying age may still lay the occasional egg. I cant guarantee anything broody wise but I would think that it depends on how old they are and what breed. I had a Wyandotte x RIR hen that lived till 13 ( we had to put her down due to a cancerous growth on her face that was spreading) she stopped laying at 8 but went broody at 12. So I do believe that they can go broody in their older years. Have you also considered getting a breed that is prone to broodiness?

3. ShockValue

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Yes, the prompting of the question came about because I found a nice Bantam Cochin that someone wants to get rid of, but she's about 4 years old and doesn't lay much anymore.

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    4 years isn't really that old for a non genetically tampered with breed. If you do decide to get her then I would suggest that you leave a few bait eggs in the nest at all times to encourage her to think about it

5. ShockValue

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Thanks! I'll see if the girl gets my wife's seal of approval :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by