Will a hen-pecked wattle and crown grow back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bevchickfarm, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bevchickfarm

bevchickfarm New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    We bought a chicken about a month ago from a reputable source. The seller said she was around 20 weeks like all of other black sex links he kept together. At that time some were laying and some weren't but he wasn't sure which were and which weren't b/c there were a lot of them living together. He grabbed us one out of the bunch and put her in the box for us to take home. At first I thought she was young and not laying b/c she didn't have a comb or wattle grown in. On further inspection at home, I saw she had wattle on one side and not the other. Is it possible she is older then I think and that her wattle/comb were henpecked in her former home? If so, will that grow back in? We have had her for a month and she still has not produced an egg. Thoughts????

2. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post a picture of her? That would make it so much easier for us.
    Hey, and welcome from Virginia!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. bevchickfarm

bevchickfarm New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    This is her "good side" with wattle grown in.
    [​IMG]

No wattle on this side and no comb.
    [​IMG]

Sorry they aren't the best pictures...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Well . . . hmm. I don't think wattles grow back once they are damaged.
    That said, and I can't tell from your picture, but my best layer (sex link) has NO comb, no wattles and no tail feathers. (never did) I thought she was a roo when she was younger. My neighbor said, why, that's no roo, you've got yourself a funny looking chicken is all. Maybe you've just got yourself a funny looking chicken? Someone hopefully has some more opinions?
    Re the laying, you might want to head over to Chicken Behaviours and Egg Laying -- she could be stressed out if she's alone? Especially if she came from a place where she had lots of friends. You said you go A chicken, so I'm just taking a guess. If she is a loner, you'll want to get her a girlfriend or two. You'll get quicker advice over there, anyway. Good luck!

5. bevchickfarm

bevchickfarm New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback. She is not alone. She was a replacement for a chicken who died, so we only bought one at the time. We have two chickens and the other has been laying for a couple of months. I will check out the other thread as well. Thanks again.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Here`s another opinion for ya. It appears to me that if she had been pecked to the point of losing her comb and a wattle, that she would have feathers missing on her head. Therefore, I`m thinking that she never had much comb and only one wattle. The reason could be that she is a "sport", which is a bird showing some of the traits from far back in her ancestry. Sports usually show up as a color difference, but anything is possible.
    As for not laying, I would say that it is stress related. Anything can stress a hen to stop laying. Change of home, food, even water source. Often a predator threat will do it. Probably she stopped because of the move and the intro to a strange chicken and/or new people. She will come around. Just give her some time..........Pop

7. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    my black sex link has no comb or wattles at all. I mean they are barley there. She is 4 mo. old and her little slivers of comb and wattles are red so hoplfully any.day now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by