Will a Large Black Rat snake try to kill my full sized BA's???

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello BYC.

Just in the process of having a bit of a conflicting conscience:barnie. I dont mind snakes, granted ive never met one like the huge monstrosity of a snake that was just in my yard. We've seen it on our property before, i think its a rat snake and we actually have a bit of a mouse problem that i was getting very frustrated at. And i DONT like mice. So i was thinking oh well just let it slither around and eat mice, right? Then i read that they eat chicken eggs and i got concerned. Then i was curious if it would try to attack my chickens:confused:....
they know its there and they make the notorious "predator alert" noises when they see it and are around it. I wonder if it'll hurt them?? Losing an egg or two to the snake isnt a huge deal as long as it eats those mice, but i wouldnt want to lose a full sized bird to one.

Any advice welcome. thanks

Hello BYC.

Just in the process of having a bit of a conflicting conscience:barnie. I dont mind snakes, granted ive never met one like the huge monstrosity of a snake that was just in my yard. We've seen it on our property before, i think its a rat snake and we actually have a bit of a mouse problem that i was getting very frustrated at. And i DONT like mice. So i was thinking oh well just let it slither around and eat mice, right? Then i read that they eat chicken eggs and i got concerned. Then i was curious if it would try to attack my chickens:confused:....
they know its there and they make the notorious "predator alert" noises when they see it and are around it. I wonder if it'll hurt them?? Losing an egg or two to the snake isnt a huge deal as long as it eats those mice, but i wouldnt want to lose a full sized bird to one.

Any advice welcome. thanks

It could most definitely eat chicks and eggs, but I can't imagine eating eating full sized standard chicken. I mean maybe there's a slight possibility, but I doubt it's likely.

If the snake figures out it can readily eat eggs when hungry, then it probably won't do much to curb your rodent problem. Can you effectively limit the snake's access to the eggs? If so, it might be a nice ally to have around.

I think a full-sized chicken is too big for a ratsnake to eat, but if cornered or it feels threatened it might bite a chicken in defense.

If the snake figures out it can readily eat eggs when hungry, then it probably won't do much to curb your rodent problem. Can you effectively limit the snake's access to the eggs? If so, it might be a nice ally to have around.

I think a full-sized chicken is too big for a ratsnake to eat, but if cornered or it feels threatened it might bite a chicken in defense.
Yeah, i can keep the snake from the coop, i think. Im more worried about the errant random chicken who decides to lay in the yard area once in a while. Figure those eggs will be gobbled up, but good point about the easy egg access. didnt really think about that

I’d personally get rid of the snake, you just see a giant snake in your yard and live your life normally? Terrifying. :oops:

Most folks around here like to have a big black snake in the barn. I had to relocate a 4 ft one to the back 40 last year because it wanted to sun on the porch... and I figured if my wife were to see that she'd make us move ... when I mentioned it to my neighbor he scolded me for not bringing to his house.

Most folks around here like to have a big black snake in the barn. I had to relocate a 4 ft one to the back 40 last year because it wanted to sun on the porch... and I figured if my wife were to see that she'd make us move ... when I mentioned it to my neighbor he scolded me for not bringing to his house.
:gig we saw this one sunning itself on our upstairs porch yesterday!:highfive:

I’d personally get rid of the snake, you just see a giant snake in your yard and live your life normally? Terrifying. :oops:
well, i dont really want to, unless it starts harming livestock or my dogs or something. I want it to eat all these damn mice on my property. much worse than any snek

Back
Top Bottom