Will a large dog kennel be big enough

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommathea, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    I have a large dog kennel that I plan on making a brooder out of. My dog hates it so it's been sitting empty for over a year.
    I'm gettting 6 sex-link pullets.
    I know it's big enough when I get them, but for how long do you think I can keep them in there and will be happy?
    =Gaaahhh, I'm so nervous. I wasn't this nervous with any of my kids.
    Also I bought a waterer and a feeder that is round and you put a canning jar on. is that big enough for 6 chicks?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It should be fine for a few weeks. They grow fast though so have a move up brooder ready!

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    The feeder and water container will be big enough to start and you'll have to see how often you have to refill them as you go along. Sometimes as time progresses the long feeders that have the holes across the top work out better when they all try to stand side by side to eat. But that is just my opinion.

I would think you could get by for a couple weeks with the kennel. I would keep my eyes open for a huge cardboard box maybe (it's free and bio-degradeable in the end) to move them to later on for more leg room. Extra cardboard on the bottom helps to double the strength and gives you a layer to pull up when you clean the litter out , then replace a fresh layer of cardboard and litter....hope that made sense.

A lot of folks use the big rubbermaid style totes but they grow out of those quickly too.....

Best of luck, and have fun ! !! [​IMG]

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It will be big enough for a while and so will the waterer.
    You'll know when the waterer is not big enough , when your filling it up 4 or 5 times a day LOL. You'll be just fine just breath and enjoy your chicks. As far as how long your kennel will be big enough is based on age.
    week 1= 3sq in per chick
    week 2-3 = 6 sq in
    week 4-5 = 9 sq in
    week 6-8 = 1 sq ft

Best of luck you'll love your girls.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    One thing to make sure of with your dog kennel is to run chicken wire along the bottom of it. I learned the hard way that chicks are smaller than the holes in the kennel and can get out. I had a broody hatch some eggs and I am using a kennel door end for my door to my run and they were able to fit through the holes in the kennel and my dog got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by