Will a lonely chook raise chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rica, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Rica

Rica Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Australia
    I decided to give three of my meat chooks a stay of execution to see if they would lay. Unfortunately, however, they are not prone to longevity, and two of them have to go due to health problems.

My question is: If I leave one chook she will get lonely. Can I introduce some young chicks to keep her company? Will she raise them, or hurt them?
    She is very docile, largely due to the fact that being a meat chook, she can't be bothered to do anything except eat. She's about 13 weeks old.

Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's still a baby at that age. It won't mother them but will probably tolerate them if she doesn't step on them or kill them some how. Only way to get a big chicken to raise little chickens is to let the adult go though the setting stages of broodiness, and introduce chicks after about 3 weeks of her setting on eggs. Else, adults or juviniles will have no problem gobbling up the little ones for a snack.

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I agree with silkiechicken on this.
    You should be able to get hold of some point of lay pullets now in Australia, tis nesting season!!! good luck.
    Get her some friends and try and get 3 as even numbers are better in chook communities!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by