Will a Mature Banty Trio Live Will with Baby Cochin Banty Trio????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Msbear, May 8, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I've ordered my bantam Columbian Cochin trio and am ready to start my backyard flock (half acre) I'm doing a movable hutch and also have a large fenced in flower garden (picket fence) for some play time.

I came across a line of bantam Black Rose Combs that are descended from my Grandfathers flock and couldn't resist getting a trio of them as well:)

Question #1. Is it true that chickens won't perch (or fly over) picket fences?

Question #2. Will my two families of chickens be able to co-exsist in harmony? (I plan on having them in separate hutches but they will be around eachother and can see eachother.

Question #3. I've heard over and over how docile the cochins will be and I'm somewhat concerned about the rose combs. I want them all to be my sweet little pets. Any insight to their personality?

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    1) Most bantams fly!

2) separate coop is good idea with 2 roos & few hens (after time & seeing each other in the distance you should be able to free range them together - each will know his girls

3) Cochins are very docile, Rose comb roos can be aggressive

[​IMG] the more you give treats & handle the friendlier they will be!!!

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks so much for the great info. I was hoping to hear the part about, they would know there own girls. don't want billy bad #$% beatin up on the little cochin:)

I see your from Cranberry. I'm pickin up the rose combs from the Uniontown poultry swap on the 18th. I hear it's a lot of fun. Thanks, Erin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by