Will a molting hen get broody/sit on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenHawk12, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ChickenHawk12

ChickenHawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    I have 1 PITA BO hen that has been broody almost non-stop since March. I finally got fed up and ordered 4 fertilized eggs (a different breed, of course), and 2 days after I placed my order she stopped being broody. Now it seems that the hens (one? all 3?) are molting. They are about 15 months old and I'm assuming this is their first molt, because there are feathers EVERYWHERE, and no.body.is.laying.eggs. [​IMG]

The eggs are supposed to be delivered sometime this week. Will molting chickens sit on eggs? I have 2 fake eggs in the coop in hopes of inspiring someone to go broody. What else can I do? Should I put a few grocery store eggs and make a little pile? Might that help? Am I screwed?

I wanted her to hatch them because I don't want trouble with the hens accepting the chicks, and I REALLY don't want to do baby chicks in the house :-(

Am I S.O.L.?

2. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    If you have an incubator, start the eggs in the incubator and once the hen goes broody again, swap the fertile eggs with the fake ones. I have done this numerous time and even after the chicks hatched in the incubator, I have put the chicks under a broody hen and she has taken care of them. Right now I have one of my RIR that is broody and molting but I had my fill of chicks for the year so no eggs for her to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by