Will a new rooster crow more?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Countrywantabe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Countrywantabe

Countrywantabe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    We brought home two new roosters last night. The owner said they were relatively quiet. They spent the WHOLE first day here crowing! Does this get better after they settle in? We have no other roosters - 9 hens who have already accepted them. Neighbors are close but so far they say they aren't bothered. They are Serama Chicken brothers who were born Easter Sunday. I know most of the neighbors don't mind a crow or two as we have checked with them. I know there are a few others somewhere in the area as I hear them in the morning in the distance. They are such lovely little jewels and we want to keep them but ALL day is a bit much. Does this get better? We are new to chickens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Roosters are very different from each other. So I guess it just depends on the rooster. They will probably calm down in a few days though.

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    New roosters usually crow excessively the first couple days. Unless, there is a big daddy around then they will lay low with the hens..heheh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by