will a new rooster kill chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jammyjammy2112, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    I am getting a new light sussex rooster 20 weeks old i have 8 week old chicks with my silkie broody will he kill them

2. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's possible. Without knowing the temperament of the new Roo, and putting him in a new place with things he doesn't know, especially babies would be a risky move. I personally would keep him separated from them and the Silkie in a way that he can see them, but cannot get to them, like chicken wire or poultry netting in the coop/run. Depending on your set up of course and what you could come up with. But I wouldn't just put him in there. Roosters can be unstable. Raising them with the flock is one thing, bringing in a new one to a new environment with a lot of different variables is a completely different story. I would strongly recommend keeping them separated for now.

3. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    I have another house they can see them when my hens are freeranging should i let the hen and chicks out for maybe an hour or so till he is used to thing or should they be ny left out which would be better thanks

4. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would make sure that the Roo does not have access to them right now, being able to see them in another enclosure is fine, but I wouldn't give him the opportunity to cause trouble just in case. There is no reason for the little ones to forage right now. They are tiny enough to stay in an enclosure. We usually don't let ours free range without supervision until they are about 10 weeks old. At that age they are big and fast enough to get away from trouble if need be. They are able to be kept in an enclosure up until that age with no issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by