Will a newbie cockerel toughen up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    We have 2 8 week cochins, and a 7 week old EE. One of the cochins is looking rooish. OlivER does exert dominance over the other 2. We have 5 18-19 week old white leghorn pullets, 3 are laying. We had the older ones and the young ones out together and the youngest leghorn picked on Olive and "she" got down in a fighting position, flaring out neck feathers, and so was Sophie, the leghorn. Olive ended up running away.[​IMG] But this said "roo" for me. Will a young cockerel protect his little flock against the older flock?

Here's Olive btw
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well that comb says roo to me, no matter what the behavior!

He's just a baby, he can't be expected to hold his own against an older female at this age. Cochins are also slower to mature, so he may not hold his own until more like 8 months.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Cochins are also a generally super sweet breed, so some of those boys never do toughen up. At least the Bantam version is, I haven't had the LF version yet. I've had full grown bantam Cochin roos get their butts handed to them by much younger females. They seem to be more of a "go with the flow" sort of bird.

4. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Interesting, he does act dominate toward the other two.

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    "Cochins are also a generally super sweet breed, so some of those boys never do toughen up. At least the Bantam version is, I haven't had the LF version yet. I've had full grown bantam Cochin roos get their butts handed to them by much younger females. They seem to be more of a "go with the flow" sort of bird." I have read they are mellow. How often do they crow?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My bantam cochin roo crowed as much as my big boys. Just higher pitched & kind of squeaky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by