Will a newly hatched chick be crusty?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hooterville, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

My first ever baby hatched last night and seems to be just fine except that shes crusty. She is dry and picking at crumbles, walking around etc. but is sort of crusty to the touch. She is not all fluffed up like other chicks I've seen. Should I be concerned? Does she need wiped down with a damp towel? Should I just quit worrying and leave her alone! [​IMG]

Here's a pic of little Crusty.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice--I'm a very nervous new mommy!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sometimes they do come out a bit 'crusty' for lack of a better word.

I'd just leave it alone UNLESS there is membrane or crust stuck to the vent area that might cause pasting up or problems with elimination.

She'll fluff out in a few days once she gets the grooming urge.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    poor thing...... born on a "bad hair day" ....

post us a pic when she's all fluffy. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sticky chicks is an indication of your humidity being a bit off. She will fluff out and be lovely as can be in a day or two.

5. Hooterville

Miss Prissy--is my humidity too high or too low? She's the first one out and I don't want to mess up the others. Oh and she has pooped so her bottom must be OK.

Thanks for the advice and I'll post a pic when she looks a bit better!

Wow she is one peeper! Loudest I've heard and I have a box of 47 week olds.

I wish someone else would pop out to keep her company! [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You should check your other eggs that have pipped and see if they are drying out in the shell or if they are stuck if it has been more than 24 hours. I would hate for your chicks to die in the shell because they couldn't get out.

The humidity is most critical in the beginning and through the first 18 days. The eggs have to loose most of the moisture in order for the air cell to grow and the chick be able to pip and hatch.

7. Hooterville

I was using the dry method and my humidity stayed between 32 and 38% throughout. Is that too low?

Wed nite I removed the turner and added water to the trays. Placed the eggs in cartons. The humidity has been staying around 65% with temps at 99-100. Is that too high?

The one that has zipped this AM is still alive and I can hear it peeping and see it working. The one that started last night isn't doing anything now but I could see it moving well last night.

What next?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by