Will a non broody take in chicks hatched from an incubator?

Thebossbaby

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
As many of u know, I have been trying to make one of my hens ( a silkie) get broody, and she just won't do it, I have an 8 egg incubator and was wandering, if I take 8 eggs and hatch them, then will the "adopt" them for me? Or will she not because she isn't broody? I know silkies are good at raising chicks so I was hoping she would do I don't have to worry about the flipping heat lamps and stuff this winter. Plz respond as soon as u see this

If a chicken is not broody, she will not accept and take care of chicks. You cannot "make" a hen go broody. They do it when THEY want to. By "brood the chicks" OGM means, to hatch them and put them in a brooder and raise them yourself, then integrate them into your flock.
Or you can just wait until one of your hens decided to go broody and slip some baby chicks under her.

So r u sure there is no way at all I can get a gen to accept them? What if I put them under her at night, since she sleeps on the ground, and when she wakes up they r there?

Brooding chicks is the process of raising them....in the absence of a neither hem the brooding is done by artificial means. This is why the enclosure they are raised in is commonly called the brooder...a box, crate, tub, etc where they are provided warmth, safety, etc that would normally be provided by the hen. This can be done in the coop if you have a coop that will allow for portioning off space and has the means (ie power) to provide artificial warmth (I prefer the mama heat pad, especially for use in a coop with other, adult birds present). The advantage is it allows for integration at just a few weeks of age as the older birds are accustomed to the chicks.

So r u sure there is no way at all I can get a gen to accept them? What if I put them under her at night, since she sleeps on the ground, and when she wakes up they r there?
No. There is no way you can get a non broody hen to hatch, raise or accept chicks. As had been mentioned above, she will most likely kill them. Even if you put them under her at night. Chickens aren't necessarily too bright, but they're really not THAT stupid, either. You cannot trick her into thinking she suddenly hatched chicks over night. Since you stated in a previous post that you don't really want chicks anyway, I'd suggest waiting until spring and see if you get a broody and take it from there.

I have never had a hen go broody and I got these girls a year ago, all 2 years old, except the silkie, she was one. So is it likely for her to go broody now?

Back
Top Bottom