1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a one week age difference cause aggresion?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ticks, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I am getting a dozen chicks this spring, 3 of them (BR) are coming a week before the other 9, can I mix these two ages?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I mix mine up to 2 weeks depending on the size without any problems. I'd say yours will be just fine together.

3. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Let me just first tell you, this is my first and only experience with chicks, so I have VERY limited knowledge, buuut...
    I got my first 3 chicks, 2 golden laced wyandottes & 1 easter egger, and had to wait 1 1/2 weeks for my 2 buff orps to come in.
    I have had NO problem with the age difference. If anything, the feisty little buffs pick on the older chicks more!
    They woke me up at 3 in the morning last week, so I snuck down to check on them, all 5 were sitting on their perch, (the older were 3 weeks & the younger were 1.5 weeks...SOO cute to see them roost at that age, btw!)
    Anyhoo, they were all sitting on the roost, and one of the buff orps was staring at the side of one of the glw's head...she stared for a few seconds...then just POUNCED right on top of her! Scared the poop right out of her, poor baby squawked and ran away, very upset.
    Your new ones will be just fine, in my opinion.
    Have fun!!

4. fishmesser

fishmesser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Sadieville,Ky
    I have placed chicks together at up to 4 weeks age differance with no problems.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Never had a problem with my chicks who are a week and half apart. No picking or anything like that.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Thanks! I like to here that.

I just saw another member's thread about throwing a baby chick in with 2 weekers and it was attacked.
    but then again, 3 one week vs. 9 day olds.
    the BR will be outnumbered [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh yeah that makes a difference. I would not throw in a newly hatched chick with a bunch of bigger chicks.

If I had to do that with a sole chick, I would take ONE older chick with it and observe it for awhile. If things go well, wait a day and add another one. Give it some time to grow and get strong in case they decided to wisen up.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Are talking only one little one with a big one?
    I will have 9 little ones with 3, 1 week olds.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    whichever is older, you take out to introduce new chicks with so the bigger one dont go on a pecking spree. Then all is well after a day, add another big chick with the new chicks. Keep doing that until all of them are in there.

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I haven't had any trouble introducing a couple of weeks' difference at all, but I would make certain there are spots in the brooder that are appropriately hotter for the young ones and cooler for the older ones. Further, I would also put a couple of small boxes on their sides in there for shelter for the little ones if they seek it- this worked well enough for me to add a couple of day-olds into a pile of others aged 1-4 weeks.

ETA- If you put a perch in there for roost practice, it will also offer a way for the older ones to hang out without crowding the little guys. They like to watch from 'on high.' I tape a 1"x2" to a couple of tall full jars or cans.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by