will a quail egg roll under a 1in gap in a cage ?

tony30536

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
Ellijay Ga.
i have been building a few cages and was thinking of building one that the eggs can roll out, what size gap is needed ? how wide is a quail egg ? (thay are not laying yet nothing to go by) will the 1/2''x1/2'' welded wire be to ruff on the eggs ,,

thanks for the info ,, tony

Last edited:
back to building on the cage ill save the side for egg roll out to last, in hope some one can tell me what will be a safe size opening to use.
thanks tony

The wire on my coturnix' cages is 1 inch wide by 1 1/2 inches high, the eggs don't roll out.
ETA: That's the wire on the sides, the bottoms are 1" by 1/2"

Last edited:
Quote:
Not all of them will roll under the 1" gap, but!!!! If you go to much wider the birds will slip under.
Best set up is an opening a bit bigget then 1" then a lip and feeders covering the opening.

Even on the cages I have that they dont always fit it is still easier to gather them up from on end of the cage.

1/2 by 1/2 will be fine. Just watch how you put them together so the eggs ca roll and not get stopped by the wire.

thanks for the info , i got the bottom cages set at 1in ,the next layer i may try 1 1/8 thay will be rolling under a 2x4 so the quail i hope will not try to go under

Back
Top Bottom