Will a really bumpy road scramble my shipped eggs for hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhour4pm, Sep 12, 2011.

1. happyhour4pm

happyhour4pm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I live 3 miles back on a really bumpy washboard dirt road. I live in Florida so it is actually a sand road and after a rain it can get really bad. I am wanting to buy some eggs for hatching and have been waiting for our weather to cool a bit so they don't get cooked on there way to me.
    I keep reading about the hatch rate has a lot to do with how they are handled in transport. Then I pick up the poor things at t he post office and abuse them on my road some more.....
    I do not want to scramble my eggs and further ruin there hatch chances.
    How much rough travel can they take???
    Any suggestions?

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Make sure you give them a few hours after getting home with them before you put them in the incubator. That gives the egg time to settle down and the yolk to return to a good position. Drive a bit slower than what you normally would and if someone can hold them instead of putting them on the seat that may help.

I have the same situation here but with the advantage of having my route's carrier and the postmaster as my next door neighbors. One of them brings them to me on their lunch break so they sit at the PO for awhile after arrival in the postmaster's office. Of course having a carrier that has a large flock of ducks via shipped eggs does help a bit too on getting some extra TLC from the PO on this end of the eggventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by