Will a red heat lamp encourage laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have no intentions of my hens to keep laying. I do believe they need a break. I have a red heat lamp in the coop for added warmth and to help keep the water from freezing. Will that trick their minds into continuing to lay or does only the white light do that? When the temps are in the single digits, the light stays on all day and night. I feel they need it because the rooster's comb is getting black. They are still giving me about 12 eggs a day out of 20 hens. Red light, white light or no light?

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Anyone with opinions?

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a red light in the other end of my coop for the babies, I have not noticed any change in laying because of the light.

4. cherylhoner

cherylhoner New Egg

Sep 17, 2008
    Minnesota
    MY DH put a red light in the coop about one month ago to keep our chickies warm. It is on 24/7. I have checked them at night and they are roosting and sleeping just fine. Our egg production has stayed the same and everyone seems very happy and healthy. It is -10 degrees today in Minnesota and with our completely insulated coop is is staying at 30 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by