Will a Roo fertilize all eggs or just his own breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick-n-momma, Apr 15, 2011.

1. chick-n-momma

chick-n-momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Garrett County, Maryland
    I have several different breeds and my wonderful husband has picked his favorite out of a batch of EE's that I got from the straight run bin at TSC. From looking at their feathers when they were 2 days old [​IMG] I think it may be a roo?? Anyway.... looks like we'll be keeping him. I was wondering if he will only fertilize the EE hens or if he will fertilize all the different breeds. If so what will be peeps turn out as?

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I think roos will fertilize anything they can. I found my neighbors RIR hen wandering the street and put her in with my cochins for safe-keeping. Well! If she hatches any of her eggs she just might find some really weird looking ones.

My bantam cochin jumps my peafowl too but mostly they aren't bothered he's like a fly on their back.

3. TwoByTwo

TwoByTwo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    He should fertilize all eggs. One he grows up he will be more than happy to fertilize. My amerucana does. [​IMG]

4. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    If it's a Roo he will try to fertilize all of the hens. We've had several breeds of Roo's and Hens, and they all seem to mix well.

5. chick-n-momma

chick-n-momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Garrett County, Maryland
    [​IMG] Thats what I was afraid of....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by