1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a Roo harm babies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Apr 19, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm curious...if I ever let Marti (my RIR hen) indulge in her broody tendencies and have chicks, would Billy, my BO Roo harm the babies once hatched?

I know male tom cats will harm kittens, and so will guinea pig boars (males), but what would happen if I let her hatch some eggs?

Our current setup is a hen house with a nest box, but free ranging until we can build onto our hen house with a bigger outdoor pen.

Thanks!
    Kristi

**edited for typos**

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't have any personal experience with this, but a friend lost a clutch of chicks because the roo killed them.

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hello,
    I have a male OEGB, three adult pullets (10 mos. old), and LOTS of 7 week old chicks. I decided to "go for it" and let them all free range together the other day. I have had no problems. He My roo gets to look at them through the wire brooder most of the night, so he sees them often. I would think you might have a bit of trouble if they have never set eyes on each other before.

Be careful and stay with them when you introduce them. I would be hesitant to leave the roo with the chicks unsupervised till you know for sure he will be kind.

Best wishes!

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I think it would depend on the rooster. My sister had a buff orpie roo with a small harem. One of the girls came out of the bushes one day followed by a trio of babies, and the roo was even prouder than the momma was! Other roos are just nasty old things and I wouldn't trust them at all!

[​IMG]

5. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    I had a rooster that raised chicks. My brother brings over close to 40 4 week old chicks and the only pen space I had had an old oeg silver duckwing roo in it. He took to them like they were his kids. To the point that when it came time to start catching chicks, he would attack you at the sound of one of his peepers in alarm. But it is an individual thing, have also known roos that would kill chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by