Will a roo try to mate with another roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sharksandguitars, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    I was pretty sure that one of my silkies was a roo until my main roo mounted it? Will roos mate with roos?

2. no, and even if they did the one roo wouldnt squat so the roo coul mount it

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Yes , I have seen my dominate Roo mount my subordinate Roo a few times....until the younger one got older and now is left alone.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, they don't actually "mate", but one roo will mount another in a show of dominance. Just like dogs mounting each other. It's not sexual in any way, just social dominance.

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Yes I have seen it. I guess he is just saying " I'm King of the coop and you're my *****" unless you see them both have a smoke afterwards. That might be a different story.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

Thanks for my first BYC laugh of the day.

My intended answer to this question was, "If desperate enough". It happens and is partially dominance but is also an attempt at reproduction. The force to pass on DNA is extremely strong.

7. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Always happy to make someone smile or laugh, and also try to help. Who would have guessed the B word was a no no.

8. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Well he isn't doing it for lack of partners. I have 2 roos that I know are roos for sure. I think the 3rd chicken I thought was a roo, might not be a roo. I haven't seen my main roo try to mount my other for-sure roo, and he is the same age as the not-sure roo, that my main roo mounted. I will keep you updated.... da da dum

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by