1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a rooster attract predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by khatar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    One of my family members is suggesting that a bobcat found the chickens because my rooster is crowing announcing that they are there. Is this true?

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I don't really think it has to do with crowing. I believe if you have chickens (or rabbits or ducks, etc) the predators are going to find them no matter what! [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I have to agree with the above poster. It's really not the noise that is giving away their location to predators.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X3

5. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Predators follow scent more than sound, and will find prey (aka chickens) one way or another. If anything, having a rooster around helps because he is often on watch more than the hens and provides them with early warning which will hopefully allow them a chance to get away or hide.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:A possibility. Predators are not all knowing and able to catch everything around based on smell or sight alone. The advertisements made by males of any kind can and often are intercepted by potential predators. In this case the advertisement is the rooster's crowing directed at potential mates and rivals. Many predators including bobcats, coyotes, foxes and greathorned owls can be called in using recordings alone by hunters. Those recordings are usually based on some sort of distress call like that produced by a rabbit. As a another example where I am the predator listening for mating calls involves bullfrogs. A better example is where I can find a feral game rooster's roosting site by listening for his crowing. I have had to use that technique multiple times when roost was in groove of cedar trees where flashlite was nearly useless. It was best to know which tree rooster was in before climbing up into something that was all prickly and sticky.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sure. A predator who knows what a chicken is, will follow the sound of chicken.

But don't blame the rooster. Hens make just as much if not more noise and a hen's bwak sounds just as much like chicken dinner as a rooster's crow.

8. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Yeah, my family member is certain it's the rooster. I agree with you though, and it wouldn't be his fault anyway. He's just doing what roos go!

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:most predators are pretty stupid they do not "know" anything they are only responding to some type of biological trigger nothing more nothing less

10. Cubzwin1908

Cubzwin1908 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    I realize this is an old post but came looking for the same answer today. I have had free range girls for 7 years with never a hawk problem....this year after getting a rooster (in an order that was intended to be all pullets) I have had two attacks this month. Luckily both girls were ok but they are now on lockdown within their run unless I can be out with them. The only variable I know has changed is the addition of the rooster with his constant crowing.

Also found it interesting that Bruce (my roo) was raising all manor of commotion about it but was not defending against the hawk. I assume because the one being attacked was one of my old 7 year olds that he does not mate with. Is that how it works? He will only protect "his" girls? He had no problem coming after me when I was trying to round everyone up for safety. lol This is my first experience with a rooster so we are both finding our way.

Debbie Jennings
    Merlin, OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by