Will a rooster be agressive without hens????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandylion1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dandylion1

dandylion1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    I have an agressive rooster who I plan to get rid of and he can either go to a rooster farm or the butcher. I'd prefer not the butcher but the farm said they don't want him if he's agressive but they also said they've never had trouble with any other roosters being mean. My rooster has hens now but he wont at the farm so will he still be agressive there? I need to make sure he wont be because they let them freerange and they are also sell vegetables and stuff so there are people around and I wouldn't want anyone to get attacked. I need him gone by Friday so any quick advice will be helpfull.

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    It is my experience that a mean rooster is a mean rooster is a mean rooster. Some will tell you they have luck retraining them by giving them a beating or by catching them and carrying them around upside down for awhile etc, but I don't buy it. Some of these methods may work but are a temporary cure at best most of the time. The best cure for a flogging rooster is a large pot of chicken dumpling soup.

If that farm has never had a mean rooster it is not likely because of how they raise them it is more likely that they have been fortunate enough to not have any roosters who decided to turn mean, there are too many nice roosters around to bother with keeping a mean one around and even worse, allowing it to breed and possibly pass its horrible attitude on.

1 person likes this.
  3. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Bluecoondawg said it. The best rehab for an aggressive rooster is a pot. I prefer chicken pot pie, but dumplings isn't a bad choice. [​IMG]

4. dandylion1

Dec 4, 2013
    Okay. I guess youre right. And I do love chicken pot pie. But my roostr only jumps at me when I get near his hens so if he was somewhere else with just other roosters would he be all right?

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hard to say, my roosters will not attack a person for any reason even chasing around and messing with the hens or the roosters themselves. I do know that if I had a rooster farm, which I don't know why anyone would have such a thing, I would not take in a rooster with a history of being aggressive. Maybe your farmer will take a chance on him but if he doesn't behave properly he will likely still be butchered.

Just out of curiosity what exactly is this rooster farm and what is the point of it? I can't see someone farming roosters just to keep the noisy things around forever, the only people I know of who farm roosters do it for meat. Are you considering giving the rooster to the farm as a means of avoiding him being killed?

6. dandylion1

Dec 4, 2013
    Yes. I do not want to kill him. I dont really know what the point of the rooster farm is but they said they let them free range all day then they sleep in a barn. Its nice though because most people I know who got an unwanted rooster just gave them to this place so its easy. they grow a lot of food though too, and I didn't know they took them and let them live until I asked. I originally thought bringing him there they would butcher him. Maybe the guy needs a retirement project or Maybe he got tired of watching the apples grow :confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by