Will a Rooster do a Mating Dance for another Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aoxa, Dec 14, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm wondering if a rooster who dances for a young chick (2 months -4 months) could determine the sex of the one in question?

I have heard that a rooster could mount another rooster for dominance, but would a alpha roo actually dance for a young cockerel?

Thanks for your help!

2. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    My 2 roos do that all the time well one of them anyway they are alone freeranging my place because I won't use they for breeding my gals till spring, so my SS roo tries to dance for my Delaware roo all the time....... silly confused rooster LOL

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had two roosters they would do the dance to each other and to me.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    It's a dominance dance, not necessarily a mating dance - if he's lowering his wings and flapping them down at the ground at the other chicken.

So far my Foghorn has only done the dance to his ladies.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually it isn`t a dance at all. Old timers called it "cutting a wing" and it`s a show of dominance, or a challenge, meant to produce submission. Not a cute little dance at all.......Pop

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Interesting! Thanks Pop [​IMG] That helps a lot.

My roo has so far not danced for my cockerel. Someone just mentioned on another thread that their roo danced for a 2 month old silkie that was of unknown sex at the time, and the idea was that he knew she was a girl. I wasn't quite sure. Haven't seen anything on it myself.

My roo will not cut a wing for me or any humans. Just his girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by