Will a rooster draw blood fighting a hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kathyb2, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    About a month ago, I moved a 4 month old rooster and pullet into a coop that had 5 5 month old pullets. They free ranged a few hours every day before I made the move. All seem do be doing well together. This weekend I watched my Andalusian pullet challege the rooster. Then, a bit later, the rooster attacked her/him, hurt her/him pretty good, lots of blood.

I never suspected the Andalusian was a rooster, but I have been fooled before. She/he is not laying yet, the others are, but not for very long. My question is, would a rooster ever do that to a hen or pullet? Is she/he definitely a rooster.

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    A bad rooster could do it to a hen or pullet. But if you do happen to have two roosters on board one might certainly fight the other rooster to the death in exerting his dominance of the flock. Either way, the aggressive rooster needs to be separated from the flock - you can't have them drawing blood.

I suggest you post up a picture of the bird you are suspicious of (the andalusian) - I'm sure there are heaps of folks on these boards that might be able to clarify if it is a roo or a pullet for you.

If indeed you do end up having two roosters, you will probably have to rehome one. In that case I would suggest getting rid of the more aggressive bird, and keeping one which treats your hens well.

- Krista

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks Krista. I will take a picture tomorrow. They are separated right now but it was the Andalusian I took out out because she/he had wounds and I was afraid they others would peck at her/him. The rooster who fought with her/him, so far, had not shown any aggression towards the others or people, so I am not sure who started what. I am not new to chickens and I received two andalusians from McMurray in the spring. One was definitely a rooster and I could tell very early on. I am very curious to know if the one I kept is a rooster also.

4. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    Well she laid her first egg yesterday so she is a she. I tried putting them back together in the coop and he went after her immediately. When he is free ranging he dances in front of her pen. Is there anyway to get her back with the group again. I hate to give up this rooster. He is good with people and the other hens. I wondering if I should try letting them free range at the same time?

5. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Kathyb2, I am trying to think about the "pecking order" in that flock. You moved a 4 month old rooster and pullet into a coop that had 5 5 month old pullets. Is the Andalusian pullet who was bloodied also younger than the rest of the pullets, or is she one of the older pullets? I am guessing that the young cockerel is fighting his way into the established flock's pecking order. I am afraid that if he has bloodied the one hen, he will likely next bloody another as he grows older. I hope not, and I understand you are attached to him. I would keep the Andalusian to herself until she is well healed, and I don't think it would be wise to free range them together. Sounds to me like he tried to force the young hen before she was ready to accept a mate.

6. Kathyb2

Jun 3, 2009
    The one that was injured was older than the rooster and had been with that flock since they came from the hatchery. It really looked like she started it, but I am not sure. A few days before that the top hen in that flock got attacked by my dog. She is recovering but she was removed and is also by herself. Maybe moving the top hen caused the fight. Lots of chicken drama around here lately [​IMG].

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  7. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Once I had a rooster that tore half of my hens combs off :/

8. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    I think you could be right that the lead hen being removed factored into the squabble, which sounded like a disturbance in the pecking order. The bloodied female could have been attempting to establish herself as the lead. Fingers crossed that the "drama" doesn't continue with the young male drawing blood from any more hens. If it happens with a different hen, you'd know what to do. [​IMG]

I currently have a young cockerel introduced this fall into a community mixed flock of 12. The lead hen is approaching three years old, and he is the first and only roo. He will certainly lead the flock next spring, but at the moment he is sort of in the middle of the pecking order, and defers to the lead hen and several others. I have seen him mate with the lead hen, and so far, so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by