Will a rooster help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by corewassen87, Oct 29, 2015.

1. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have a Delaware hen who rules the roost big time. She can be a real B sometimes. If I were to add a rooster to my flock would it knock her attitude down a bit?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If only a cockerel she'd bully him too and possibly injure until he was larger. A cock bird (over year old) would put her in her place right away and without injury to the hen. Attitude is vastly individual dependent not by breed. I'm sure you can find a proven non people aggressive cock that is kind to his ladies. Finds food for them, alert system for predators, protector and general proctor of hens. Cockerels from this spring are yet to be proven and can turn on people quick. A young bird getting his licks from hens, not pullets, before taking control of a flock are said to have better chance of being well behaved.

There is a glut of cockerels this time of year but if you look hard enough you can find someone who is ready to rotate out their cock bird for a new breeder or just downsizing flock due to onset of winter. Craigslist is a good place to start looking.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When getting new birds you should keep in mind biosecurity. If I didn't like the looks of treatment of birds or generally didn't feel right would not purchase them, my gut instincts are strong. Other than that inspect the bird for lice and mites and it's a good idea to keep separate from flock for a week or so in case a disease presents itself. Even a bird that is a carrier can show signs of disease due to stress of moving so always a good idea to keep separate for period of time to monitor the bird before integrating into flock.

I never did quarantine when purchasing birds from owners. Took risk I suppose but when you see the area raised and all the birds it generally give a good or bad vibe. The two times purchased pullets both were from free range flocks in small meadows surrounded by trees. Healthy birds I put right in the pen and took a chance. I don't recommend that though practice it.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    You can also separate her for a week or so. It might take her down a notch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by