will a rooster mount a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cestial225, Oct 4, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a blue silkie that I have always thought was a pullet. It is about 25 weeks old. I noticed today that it has pretty decent sized wattles and a comb where my buff silkie doesn't at all. I looked up pictures of silkie hens and I don't see wattles like that in any pictures online. This makes me think that she might be a he, but she gets mounted by the roo and he would know if she was a boy or girl right? Or maybe he doesn't care?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that a rooster would mount another rooster, they would be more likely to fight each other. Do you have pictures of your blue silkie?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Roosters will mount each other. Hens will mount each other. It's a dominance thing, not a sexual thing. Just like when my (neutered) male dog mounts other dogs--trust me, he's not thinking about sex, he's just thinking he can get away with dominating them.

That said, you should post some pics of your bird, some silkie folks here can help you figure out the gender of your bird.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X 2 on you might want to post pictures on the What Breed or Gender Is This board. Roos will sometimes jump other subordinate roos or other animals or objects, but usually not to the point where you'd think they think it is a hen.

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    That's normal behavior. It's not that he doesn't know or doesn't care, it's just that his instincts are telling him BREED WITH SOMETHING!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Roosters will mount or tread other roosters if there is big enough difference in their social standing.

Also any resemblance between chicken sex and say mammal sex is purely coincidental.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by