Will a rooster protec hens?

Chickengirl47

Songster
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Louisiana
I might get a wyandotte rooster. The person I might get it from says that it is shy. Will it still protect my hens from harm? And will it be scared of people? Thanks!

Last edited:
None of them act the same. I've had them attack other roosters they were penned with when I go into catch them. Last week I had one defend another rooster on it's way to the soup pot. I have had them attack dogs that were chasing hens while others are the first one to run off at the sight of danger and the last to come back. Just have to try one and see. There's a line between one that protects the hens and one that you can't turn your back on without him jumping you from behind.

Some will try to defend hens. Results very much a function of threat. With most mammals, rooster is taking a very serious risk especially with something like fox or dog. Best defense my rooster provides against fox is that he provides loud-showy diversion that distracts predator but rooster will fly when predator gets close. With respect to hawks sometimes roosters activities more along lines of proper defense. My game roosters when free ranged with adequate cover and not in molt will attack a hawk if latter follows flock into heavy cover where hawk cannot fly. Same roosters will also take Coopers hawk on in open to protect his chicks / juveniles. With chicks he also has aid of their mother.

In my experience defense is actually in chicks, not hens.

Some of the "defense" many folks refer to is simply signal to flock that a ground or avian predator is present. Call can also indicate type and threat level presented by predator. Call may also signal to predator it has been detected and should go elsewhere for easier pickings. The rowdy cackling, especially when chicks are involved may also distract predator as it certainly works on me.

The business of shyness has not been for a predictor of anti-predator activity for me. Age, breed, and stage in molt cycle much more important.

Last edited:
He may get less shy once he meats the rest of you flock. But they are all different so there is no way to know.

Back
Top Bottom