Will a Silkie Roo mate with Standards?

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
Hi everyone.

I have what I believe to be a Silkie Roo. He's only 10 - 11 weeks so I know it's a little early to tell but my gut is telling me it's a boy based on the many Roo like behaviors I've seen him display.

Anyway, I have four other hens that are Standards plus a bantam Belgian Quail Antwerp. Will the silkie mate with the Standards? I have an EE, Golden Comets and a Black Sexlink.

Also, if it does mate with them or the antwerp how odd would the offspring be if they hatched? Would them be genetically healthy do you think?

Thanks!

Yes, he can and will mate with them.
bun.gif

ETA because I didn't totally answer your question. Some will have dark skin, some wont. Some will have 5 toes and others wont. It's just a toss up. I have silkie mixes that have 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. They should be genetically healthy though .
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Mine Black Silkie does but tends to grab their heads to control them so there are many of them that have feathers missing on their heads. Needless to say I'm trying to find a home for him.

Hmmm...interesting. It seems unlikely right now since the hens are bigger than he is and they don't take any of his you know what...but I'm sure as he comes into his own that will change.

I had a blue silky rooster in with a bunch of mixed chicken hens. that was about 5 or 6 years ago. He mated with every single one of my hens. Dont ask me how because some were signifigantly larger than him. I got a bucnh of cool looking chicks !! He must have not had very dominant genes because none of them came out looking like him but they all had feathers on their feet & legs like silkies. All were healthy & all died of natural causes. All except my two old men that i still have to this day !!

l_974080e9b4794d05886c6527cb13e5fc.jpg

this is ray. he is blind & is one of my silkie's sons.

l_552bd9ccb26d49da8795601464462f92.jpg

this is old man as i call him. hes ray's brother. & he is one of the prettiest birds ive owned !!

You cant really see the feathers on thier feet, but they are 100% healthy.. theyre almost 6yrs old too

Cockerels are literally a Force of Nature. If Obama could bottle them, he could stop worrying about domestic energy issues.

That said, your cockerel will mate anything resembling a female. You may want to keep an eye on your purse, if you get my meaning.

How odd would the offsrping be? Well, I think you've chosen the right word, "odd." How odd? That is a matter of taste, I suspect.

Last edited:
My white silkie roo, Freddy Mercury, because of his deep love for my Brahmas. He does love his fat bottomed girls. He climbs to the top of the big girls and goes for it. Sometimes he falls off, but they don't laugh at him
wink.png
So yeah, if a silkie can mate a giant Brahma, they can mate anything.

Quote:
Hi, I had 2 of my Comet hens in the Silkie pen over the winter (the girls were bullies and no one else could control them but the Silkie roos). As a joke I hatched a couple of their eggs with a batch of Silkie eggs. Here are Tera and Dac as babies
2009_0124Chickens0028.jpg
They are really pretty now (well, at least the hen is, the boy isn't bad though). I hatched 2 more about 6 weeks ago, and seem to have gotten another pair, they are about as cute as the first pair. All 4 are very healthy. I'll get some more pics tomorrow. So yes, he WILL breed the hens, but you will probably get some cute chicks out of it. Good luck!

Here are Tera and Dac today as promised. They are about 5 1/2 months old I guess. He is kinda wild, but I think she is very pretty.
2009_0510Chickens0006.jpg
2009_0510Chickens0007.jpg

Read somewhere that Silkies bred to other chickens are sex-linked. If the roo is the Silkie, the pullets will have the black skin and the roos skin like their mothers. So far it seems to be correct, but I only have 4 birds to test the theory with.

Quote:
Okay, now those are some kinda cool looking hybrids. They have the look of "real" chickens, with some interesting "accessories."

Back
Top Bottom