Will a single roo become dominant?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kara_leigh, Jun 14, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    In my oldest group of chickens I have 5 cockerels and 1 pullet. They are 12 weeks old. I thought one of the cockerels was the dominant one. Lately though, all of the other cockerels have been picking on him...pecking him, trying to mount him, just generally pushing him around. He's still the one to lead everyone around the yard, though, and rushed everyone into the coop today when he saw a predator and sat in the doorway to keep watch. He is the one we plan to keep as our roo, so once the other cockerels are gone, will he automatically become the dominant one? Maybe he already is and the others are just testing him? I don't know. I've never done this before. lol

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, he will assert himself as the leader of the flock. If you have older hens, this process takes more time.

3. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Okay good, thank you! No, he is the oldest (I think older than all the rest b/c he is bigger and wattles and comb are much more developed) and will always be that way. We only plan to get younger chickens from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by