Will a taller trellis help pole beans grow taller and be more productive?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by drewskimac, Sep 24, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I have some short trellises that my pole beans are on. However, the pole beans quickly reached the top of them and sort of just stopped growing. If I give them taller trellises will it make the plant grow larger, more healthy, and more productive?

Post pics of your cheap DIY trellises. Thankyou all [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'll not post a pic, but will tell you about my very cheap bean trellis. It's an old fashioned metal A frame swing set. Leave those S hooks in place. A wire, sapling, or other method to tie the 2 front legs together, the 2 back legs together close to the ground, and run strings from the wires to the S hooks. While a very tall support may allow your beans to grow taller, it's important IMO to not give them a trellis taller than you can comfortably reach. I might try growing some on my deck rail. That way, I could pick from the ground, then go up on the deck and continue to pick some more. They'd also provide some shade. I think that some pole beans are programmed to grow taller than others. When I feel that the swing set doesn't give me enough trellis space, I extend it with a piece of conduit shoved in the frame support at the top of the A. On the other end, it is supported by (2) 2 x 4's that are drilled with a spade bit so the conduit fits through the holes. the 2 x 4's are then X'd to support the conduit. You can also do a conduit and 2 x 4 trellis if you don't have access to a swing set.

3. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Hmmmm, interesting... thankyou for your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by