Will a tom turkey protect my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I was thinking about getting two turkeys (a tom and a hen) would the tom protect my flock of chickens from cats, coyotes, stray dogs ect. ? (and yes i know a turkey can't take on a coyote and win)

2. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    I've heard that turkeys are awesome flock protectors. I'll be following this thread. Would love to hear from some people who have actual experience with this.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The one thing they can be good at is discouraging hawk attacks. Since that's one of the predators that perimeter fencing doesn't help with, that's a really good thing. Unless they are young or bantams, cats usually aren't a problem. I wouldn't depend on a turkey for protection from coyotes or dogs, which are often not alone.

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:good, i just saw a hawk this morning (perched on the coop). and i was just hoping for the tom to atack the coyotes or dogs long enough for the chickens to get back to the coop.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

A turkey would help only by the size factor. It would be no match for a coyote or stray dog - he would just be more to eat. They might go after your chickens first since the are smaller....it's hard to tell. You would be much better off getting fencing.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by