Will a turkey sit on duck eggs?

Jan 3, 2018
Dryden, Michigan
Untitled.jpg

I have a Muscovy hen that has been sitting on a clutch of eggs for about a week. This morning the turkey was sitting on her eggs. I removed the turkey and it immediately returned to the nest. I pulled the turkey out of the nesting box again and the duck scurried back onto the nest. Is this normal?

Will the turkey sit on/care for the duck eggs?
Could they be sharing responsibilities?
Was the turkey just casually attacking the nest?

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated.

Also....what kind of turkey is this and is it male or female? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1121170730.jpg
    1121170730.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 9
If you have a broody hen Turkey they will try and hatch rocks if you let them.

So if your hen is thinking about going broody she would hatch them
Thank you Feedman77 for the info! My sister originally got the turkey and confirmed it was bronze too. Good to know the turkey wants to help the eggs....but I am curious what the duck had to say about the matter.

This new information poses many new questions. Haha. If the turkey is broody does that mean she is also laying eggs? The eggs on the nest are two different sizes but I assumed it was because I had two Muscovy hens or that maybe ducks lay different size eggs. Oh man, I have a lot more research to do on eggs now. :caf

I have a broody bronze turkey who is attacking my female Muscovy who is on a nest of eggs. My turkey is literally dragging my duck off of the nest. Turkey has been laying her eggs in the same nest. I have tried to pull out the turkey eggs but it doesn’t seem to help. I only have a female turkey so her eggs are not fertile. I am afraid that the turkey is going to really hurt my duck. Any suggestions? I have one big pen in which my ducks and one turkey share.

Thank you Feedman77 for the info! My sister originally got the turkey and confirmed it was bronze too. Good to know the turkey wants to help the eggs....but I am curious what the duck had to say about the matter.

This new information poses many new questions. Haha. If the turkey is broody does that mean she is also laying eggs? The eggs on the nest are two different sizes but I assumed it was because I had two Muscovy hens or that maybe ducks lay different size eggs. Oh man, I have a lot more research to do on eggs now. :caf

The Turkey eggs will be speckled.

Back
Top Bottom