Will a younger roo eventually mate the old girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by opihiman911, May 9, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a 6 month old austrolorp roo, Keoki, who has started to show his roohood. For the last month or so he has been trying to mount the 3 hens that were his hatchmates. Recently he started going after a couple other hens who are a couple months older than him.
    I was wondering if he will ever have a try at my much older 4-5 year old RIR hens? That is what mix I am actually looking for to hatch. So far the the older girls are the queens of the coop. When they show up everyone, including Keoki, runs and get out of the way.
    Will he ever have a go with the older ladies?
    Or do I have to try and convince DW I have to get another batch of RIR eggs to hatch so he can have some young RIR for him [​IMG][​IMG]

Cory

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Yes, the roo will most likely try to mate with the older RIR, .......

......and yes you should hatch more RIR chickies! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, when they get brave enough to assert themselves. Those older women are a bit more intimidating at first, but the young boys will get tough one day, believe me.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yep, when they get brave enough to assert themselves. Those older women are a bit more intimidating at first, but the young boys will get tough one day, believe me.

An interesting analogy, Cyn.

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The only place I've seen Opihi that big was Kahoolawe.

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    He ain't nothin but a gold digger.

7. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Quote:Getting harder and harder to find them that big. Those on my grill probally came from the na pali cliffs acccessable only by small boat or kayak. Most of the places that you can walk and easily accessable have been overharvested [​IMG] You should see some of the ones that come from Niihau, they are the size of coffee cups.
    Thanks for the info. I'll just have to wait for Keoki to grow a bigger pair. My older girls are slowing down so I am hoping to get a hatch or two from them before they are sent off to retirement.

Aloha,
    Cory

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Getting harder and harder to find them that big. Those on my grill probally came from the na pali cliffs acccessable only by small boat or kayak. Most of the places that you can walk and easily accessable have been overharvested [​IMG] You should see some of the ones that come from Niihau, they are the size of coffee cups.
    Thanks for the info. I'll just have to wait for Keoki to grow a bigger pair. My older girls are slowing down so I am hoping to get a hatch or two from them before they are sent off to retirement.

Aloha,
    Cory

I was based at Kaneohe for four years. At that time, Kahoolawe was a bombing range. I used to talk some helicopter buddies into dropping me off there for long weekends. Had a great time living like Robinson Crusoe, eating coconuts, goat, quail and opihi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by