Will adding a third hen make the first stop picking on the second?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ookedama, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ookedama

ookedama New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    BCS, Mex
    I have read other strings about pecking-order and meany chicks and I think I get it, but my husband insists that I ask THIS question...
    Over a year ago we received a mature banty hen and roo. 6 months ago, el roo became too aggressive to my husband and other family animals (-:; so roo was relocated. We soon therafter brought in another hen, around 3 old months I reckon. We have had her for 5 months and in the beginning the older hen ignored her, then took her under wing somewhat - showed her the ropes, and now, a few months later is really mean to her - cornering her and pecking at her in the coop. Not all the time, other times they lay together quietly in the yard.

The question: Will introducing a whole new young lady in any way help the middle one??? Or will she simply transfer the beatings downstream?

Particulars - these are mixed breed banties. The older hen is no longer laying noticeably, the younger is laying regularly. They are free range all day and share a coop with a 3-nestbox house at night.

Thanks!

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

It really kind of depends on the hens. If the same hen stays dominant, at least she will have 2 others to pick on. If the new hen becomes dominant it could get even worse for the subdominant one. You just never know exactly how things will play out.

3. ookedama

ookedama New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    BCS, Mex
    Thanks UP, that was a well-put answer for me. (and backs up what I have trying to explain to my husband).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by