Will all ducks eat fish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pinky, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I wanted to get some ducks this spring,but I have a pond filled with goldfish.I was wondering if all ducks eat fish,or is there some breeds that prefer to eat fish more than others?
    [​IMG]

2. Sarree

Sarree Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Akron Ohio
    Ducks will eat the fish for sure!!!!

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    yes they will,in fact when I get new wild type ducks and they dont want to eat,after a day or so of them not eating I go up to the local wal-mart and buy about 12 feeder goldfish and put in their pond..that always turns them on and they will eat gamebird feed after that

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I would fence the ducks away from that pond. Not only will they eat the fish they will dirty the fish pond as well.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Oh yes be prepared. We have a stocked pond and I see the ducks goto town on the little minos. Only the big fish are safe, other then the fact when we throw crumbs and left overs to the cat fish, the ducks will go as far and sticking their bills down the catfish's throat and take the food right out of their mouths! Its kinda freaky weird...and gross. [​IMG]

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    my pekins don't. but our pond is HUGE and deep.

7. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    most do unless they are too big for them to eat....I made that mistake once..thought it would be cool...nope ducks ate them....my son brought up frogs and eggs and they were ate too......

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I had a bunch of goldfish in our garden pond, only the ducklings had access to that. Well one morning I walk outside and see two of my 3 week old muscovy ducklings on the lawn beside the pond, with a goldfish bigger then their heads. They were trying to eat it but didn't quite figure out how to get something that big down their hatches.

Needless to say the fish died in vain, neither managed to eat it but the constant pecking killed it.

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Thanks for the info eveyone.All of my goldfish are 6 inches or longer,but I don't think I am going to risk it.I think I will wait and build another pond before I get any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by