Will all fertilized eggs have bloody spot in them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dquarles74, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dquarles74

dquarles74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Lufkin, Texas
    Up until the past month when my rooster got older and started climbing on the girls, I have not had to deal with fertilized eggs at all. He was an accident :) I was hoping he was a hen.... anyways, I collect the eggs every day so they don't have time to sit and develop. But will all the eggs from now on have blood lump in them? Doesn't bother me, I just spoon it out, but for my friends who get eggs from me I'd like to know. I will probably send him to the gallows soon anyways because I don't want a rooster, but I keep him around in case I decide to try hatching my own sometime in the spring.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Blood spots and meat spots don't have anything to do with whether the egg is fertilized or not. Blood spots are blood vessels that burst in the formation of the egg, and usually form on the yolk. Meat spots are "accidents--" bits of sloughed off reproductive tract that ended up in the egg, and are usually found in the white. Older hens are usually more prone to blood and meat spots than younger hens. In any group of hens, you'll get blood and meat spots. The reason you only very rarely get them from store eggs is that commercial eggs are all passed through a candling machine that kicks the blood- or meat- spotted ones out. Blood and meat spots may look gross, but neither are harmful and the eggs may be safely eaten.

I'm assuming that these are small spots, and that you're not eating eggs that have gotten hot or been beneath a hen for a day or two--those can be super bloody.

As far as a fertilized vs. unfertilized egg, there's really not much difference as long as the eggs are gathered every day. Here's a fabulous thread with great pictures that will help you tell a fertile vs. infertile egg. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by