Will all these weather changes harm my birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by furbabymum, Feb 7, 2013.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    My birds are all fully mature but the weather has been super cold and then like today it's almost 50 degrees and sunny. It's beautiful out today. Then it's expected to snow a foot on Saturday and be super cold. Does this negatively impact them?

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    We also have had some drastic weather changes, in the span of less then a week we went from single digits to nearly 65...none of my chickens seemed to mind! Lots of dustbathing on the couple of warm sunny days!

3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Good to know! I just fear they'll molt early or something and get caught in a late freeze and die. Or compromise their immune systems. Just kind of afraid for them I guess.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When birds in good feather and nutrition such weather changes on low end are seldom life threatening although changes to lower can cause declines in egg production. If feathers wet when temperature drops rapidly that can also be stressfull with birds roosting without cover from elements. Changes worry most about are warm spells that will occur in next month or so when temperatures go from 50's to upper 80's or higher. My birds have much more difficulty dealing with those rapid warm ups even though later they can tolerate temperatures approaching 110.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by