1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will an early hatching duckling live?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princessSilva, Oct 27, 2014.

1. princessSilva

princessSilva New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    chaparral, NM
    Hi everyone, this is my first time hatching duck eggs in my incubator. I have had so many problems so far! I thought all my eggs were probably dead. I bought an egg Turner that ended up not turning the eggs, the temperature got way too high, and now I have 2 eggs that are beginning to hatch and I've only put them in on October 4th, that's only 23 days along and from everything I've read it should take 28 days. One started last night and I can see in the hole that there are a lot of veins (or what look like veins) and a yellow thing that I am assuming would be the yolk? Do babies that hatch this early ever survive? It hasn't done anything at all for over 12 hours now, it's still alive, I see it breathing and can see the beak moving. Should I help it? I know you aren't supposed to but I feel like it's just going to sit in the egg and die. I really am unsure of what to do at this point. If anyone can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

2. alequeen

alequeen New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    My abacot took 3 days to hatch as the shells were to hard due to what the owner was feeding them. I helped her out when i saw she was struggling. I used tweezers to carefully break the shell away but left the membranes all intact so the chick didn't bleed. Its only been 12 hrs so in theory it might just be resting. I've hatched/raised lots of poultry and have helped many hatch. Sometimes its successful and others not. Only you can make the decision what to do. If I was you I would follow my natural parental instinct bearing in mind that either decision might not be successful and if that's the case you shouldn't feel bad about it

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you joined the flock. If you can see veins and the yolk the duckling is not ready to hatch yet. I would leave it be to continue absorbing the yolk and veins. If your temps have been high this is the most likely cause of the early hatch. There is a very good article on assisted hatching by Sally sunflower sorry I cant add the link iPad is playing up. But I'm sure if you put it into the search it will come up. Good luck and hope your little quacks make it :hugs

4. princessSilva

princessSilva New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    chaparral, NM
    Thanks guys. My other egg that had started hatching came out just fine, but the first one is still not doing well. I don't think it will make it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by