1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will an EE chick lay the same color egg as her mother.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deidreschultz, Feb 10, 2013.

1. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    I was thinking about incubating some eggs. I have 1 EE she lays blue eggs. I would like to get different colored eggs. I'm also placing an order from My Pet Chicken, and didn't know if I should order more EE to have a better chance of getting different colors. Does anyone know what determines what color the eggs will be? Will they be the same as moms? Thanks

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    EE's crossed with a brown eggs layer will most likely get you a light brown shade egg. With EE's you can get blue, green, light brown or even pinkish shades.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have a hen that has not laid yet, the dad was a maran, and the mom was a white egg layer. both are recessive genes anyone have a clue what she may lay?

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    her egg she hatched from was white, but she looks like dad.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have had ee chicks that laid blue, and of spring with brown egger got green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by