1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will ants be a problem with eggs hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tanichca, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    We have an infestation of ants (the really tiny ones) and they be a problem when, in six days, my broody hatches out her 4 eggs? Im worried i may have to bring her inside...

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    probably not, i wouldn't think so....... [​IMG] i dont know for sure

3. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    WEIRD!! I just had a broody hatch chicks. About a week ago(pre hatch) she was out in the run sounding VERY angry. I opened up to check the nest and ANTS were everywhere (okay not that many.. but a lot!) Im pretty sure they were biting her and she didn't like it one bit. I ended up using Ortho max defense around the hutch part, up the sides, around the top and also around the unused nest boxes. (she's the only bird in her 'tractor') I just didn't let her go back in until it dried. The label says safe for pets once it has dried..

No more ants in the broody coop!

ETA: I have MANY different kinds of ants.. like I didnt even know their were that many kinds! If your curious as to what ants can do though youtube time lapse ants eat gecko.. or I guess I could just post the link! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    you could sprinkle sevins dust in the nesting box couldn't you

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Move her and get rid of the ants. I've already lost 6 chicks to ants (and heat) this year. [​IMG] better safe than sorry.

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Sorry TanichCa i was wrong about them being fine.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    There is really nowhere to put her, unless inside. And my Dad is rightly reluctant to do so. How long after they hatch will they not be able to be around ants?
    These ants are the really super tiny brown ones, and they dont bite...

8. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    One year we had some half wild cats have kittens. We caught the kittens. They weren't teeny tiny, were able to eat on their own, etc, but I didn't want them to get wild, so i had them in a wire cage outside. Went to work and came home to find 2 dead kitties, and one gasping that later died. I think they were fire ants. Anyway, they were COVERED in them. So yes, ants WILL kill small animals. I don't think the wee little black ants (we call them sugar ants or piss ants) would do that, but I don't think I'd want to chance it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by