Will any survive? Power outage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snowfire_girl, May 12, 2011.

1. snowfire_girl

snowfire_girl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    I am on day 4 of incubation with 10 eggs. We lost power tonight for about 3 hours with storms. I wrapped the incubator in a thick heavy blanket, but the temp still dropped to room temp which was around 75. Will I need to start over? or do I stand a chance? Thanks..

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW!!! You went above and beyond. Your eggs are fine. The first 6 days and the last 4 days are not very tempermental as far as temps and humidity go. You are FINE!!!

3. snowfire_girl

Feb 8, 2011
    Oh TY TY TY. I have been sick thinking about it lol. Is my first attempt with a borrowed incubator. The lady I got it from hatched out 8 of 10 of my chicken's eggs and I was so excited that they were really fertile! we are still in the midst of storms, so hoping it stays on this time..

'

4. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Covering them is fine. But if you have to do it for long periods, make sure they don't smother from lack of ventilation (I've read). Just try and make sure one or two vents are clear. I, too, have read where many people have had this happen and theirs hatched fine. Fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You could also fill water bottles with warm water... Use hot hands.. Use a generator... etc... Lots of plan B's

6. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Good answers!!! [​IMG]

7. snowfire_girl

Feb 8, 2011
    thanks to you all. I will remember that for next time. I was just sick thinking about losing them before they had a chance.

8. fobpatdgurl18

fobpatdgurl18 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    We had bad storms the other night and I was worried about losing power. I never thought about bottles with warm water or hot hands. Good tips because I didn't know what I'd do if it went out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by