Will anymore hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Azriel, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I set my 1st ever eggs on Fri 4/1, about 7pm. They started hatching about noon Fri, moving along fairley fast and I had 6 by about 3 yesterday afternoon. Then I had 1 more hatch over night. So would the 21st day be from Fri 7pm to Sat 7pm, and the 22nd day be from Sat 7pm to today at 7pm or would fri be the 21st day, Sat the 22, today the 23rd. How long should I wait on my unhatched eggs.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you set them on Friday, the 21 days is up on a Friday.

Your other question is a lot harder to answer. There are several different things that can affect when an egg will hatch. Somethings that many don't consider is heredity, humidity during incubation, relative size of the egg, or how it was stored before putting it in the incubator. I'm sure there are several things I don't know about. After all, a human baby does not always come out exactly on time. They can easily be two weeks or more early or late and be perfectly normal. Why would a chick be different?

The one thing that most of us immediately think of though is the average incubation temperature. If the average temperature is high, the chick will probably hatch early. If it is low, the hatch will probably be late. Some incubators have cool or hot spots, especially still air ones. Forced air incubators are supposed to be the same temperature throughout but not all of them are either. So the average incubating temperature can be different for eggs in the same incubator.

So how long should you leave the unhatched eggs. I'd give them at least 48 hours, maybe more. The chicks that hatch have absorbed the yolk and can go for about three days without food or water, so you can wait that long.

It is not always easy to determine this. Good luck!

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are all the same type of eggs and you're uncertain I would give the unhatched eggs another 48hrs from the time you had your last chick hatch.

If I have any unhatched I will quickly remove the chickies and give those last eggs another day or so just to see. I always have at least one that doesn't hatch. In my experience the ones that are going to hatch have all at least piped within the same 24hrs.

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Thanks, I have 1 more piped, and 2 eggs that are cheeping when I talk to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by