Will are new chicks be picked on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MadMonkeyOne, Sep 27, 2012.

1. MadMonkeyOne

MadMonkeyOne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    We're about to put fertile eggs under are isa browns (isa brown eggs too) but we have a "BOSS" chicken if u like she's at the top of the pecking order and she bully's my poor chicken. My chicken ACE is missing a bit of her face due to bullying from the "BOSS". If the chicks hatch will they be picked on? Or will the top chickens motherly Instinks kick in? the eggs will not be placed under this chicken. Will this effect her care for them cause their not her babies?
    Thx bye

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

She will feel no motherly concern for them, since she's not broody - not hatching them. I don't know whether she'll go after them or not. Some birds/flocks kind of ignore chicks running around, while others have been known to kill chicks. If you're concerned, I would wire off an area for the broodies when it nears hatching time, and after the chicks are up and about and the moms are taking them outside (probably around a week or so after hatch), then I would remove the wire on a day that you can supervise...

3. MadMonkeyOne

Sep 27, 2012
    Ok I will wire the chickens apart but I will let the mother chicken go to run round with the others sometimes and I will look after the chicks for her. will she forget bout em if I do that?
    Thx so much for the reply I was really worried!

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    You can try letting them run around with the mother under supervision. If she is a good mom she will do all that she can to protect them. If not I would keep them separated along with the mother until the other chickens get use to them.

5. MadMonkeyOne

Sep 27, 2012
    I'll supervise. Will it matter if the chickens hatched are a different breed?
    Thx so much!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by