1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will ashes hurt the chickens??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mom_to3cuties, May 13, 2007.

1. mom_to3cuties

mom_to3cuties Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Mid Missouri
    We are preparing the spot for the coop and run. It is close to the house at the edge of the woods. We wanted it to be sheltered from the sun a bit. Hubby raked all the leaves and brush and then burnt it all off. Will the burnt leaves and such hurt them?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I dont think that it will hurt them, Ive even heard of people putting wood ash in the chickens dusting spots to help control parasites.

chel

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Wood ash works great under the bedding for stopping mites and other parasites. Do it in all my coops. The only issue is with white birds. Their feathers get a little gray.

4. mom_to3cuties

mom_to3cuties Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Mid Missouri
    thanks!

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have actually seen chickens dust bathe in fire pits they seem to really like it. It is probably good for keeping them clean of pest.

6. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    Ours routinely play in our ash pile, which is next to the compost pile. They'll scratch around for bugs in the compost pile, then dust themselves afterwards in the ash pile --- sending a veil of grey across the yard, making me think something's on fire. What's really funny is when the black hens emerge from the ashes looking like weird little ghosts. The goats don't recognize them for some reason and spend quite a bit of time staring then running away, then coming back to stare, then run away again, bleating in fear. Idiots. [​IMG] ~ Oaknim

7. chknman79

chknman79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Oaknim - I bet that is funny. LOL

8. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    It's pretty funny, but at the same time - these goats are smart enough to open latches to gates, climb all types of fencing, time when the wind will blow the barn door open just enough for them to squeeze through and eat all the alfalfa...to watch them be completely terrified of little grey ghost chickens, it makes me think, "Gawd, you're stupid." [​IMG] ~ Oaknim

Last edited: May 14, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by