Will Baby chicks live in this cold with their mother?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by funonahonda, Jan 30, 2009.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We have two hens that are siting on their eggs that should be hatching this week or next week,will the mother keep the chicks worm enough or should we put the chicks in a brooder ourselves?

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a hen who hatched a chick in November its doing fine with momma. I have a hen sitting on eggs now due tomorrow outside.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is a good Idea to provide heat for the mom and babies. I have a room that I place them in and give her a light. I have had babies die in the cold. even with a mommy to keep them warm. At night when it is really cold they can get out from under the mom and they can't find their way back to mom who will not leave the others. Be safe and put them all where they can have a little heat to ease the cold winter nights.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have 4 hens with chicks now, different ages, and my coops or pens are not heated. No problems yet........

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My B.O. had a miracle Xmas chick, outside, and I put her and the baby in my hubby's unheated shed, in a windproof box, with a 75 watt bulb to keep them warm... it's been down to -25, and the baby is doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by